Monday, June 29, 2009

Another New Artist


Here is another new artist (well, new to me) for your sampling. If you are one of those people who tend to enjoy things of a minimalist nature (especially when they attempt to avoid all the normal minimalist pitfalls) this might be an artist for you.

James Blackshaw

He is a guitar player (most often 12 string, which is really nice) who writes some interesting minimalist textures, most often for himself on guitar and piano (someone else on piano, he doesn't have four arms), which is a pretty nice combination, often using some kind of drone instrument or technique. All in all, I find it soothing and creates many of those moments that I enjoy that makes time become irrelevant to your existence, which is my preferred state of mind.

There are some interesting YouTube videos of him here, you can sample his music on his Myspace page and there is a pretty nice interview with him on Pitchfork (which, incidentally is a pretty nice site for perusing.)

He has several albums you can check out.

Many people don't enjoy these kinds of textures, and I understand that, and have been criticized for enjoying this stuff, but there is just something about it that makes me happy and calm. Steve Reich puts me into a trance, if that makes any sense at all.

in any case, check him out... ENJOY!

No comments: